Guest Chef Program Overview & Guidelines:
Barrett Foundation is thankful for individuals or groups to volunteer as “Guest Chefs” to prepare a weekend dinner for the women and children staying at the Shelter.
Guest Chef Overview
- Volunteers may prepare a meal in our commercial kitchen on-site or bring in food that has been prepared in another commercial kitchen or restaurant. We are NOT allowed to serve food that is not cooked in a commercial-grade kitchen.
- The group may bring in the food to be prepared or food from the shelter’s pantry.
- Times needed: Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays for dinner from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Kitchen orientation is conducted by appointment and usually takes about 15 minutes to go through.
- Volunteers must be at least 10 years old to work in the kitchen. There must be at least one adult 18 years old or older overseeing the group.
- Contact the Development Coordinator to schedule a date by calling 246-9244 or sending an email to email@example.com. A group is welcome to serve as Guest Chefs one time or on an ongoing basis monthly or quarterly.
GUEST CHEF GUIDELINES
Thank you for preparing and serving dinner to the Barrett House women and children. It is important to follow these safety precautions to ensure your safety and the safety of our guests. Please let our Resident Advocate know if you have any questions at all or if you need any further support.
We are so appreciative of you being here and we thank you for your time and service to the women and children residing at the Barrett House.
It is important to follow these safety precautions to ensure your safety and the safety of our guests. Please let our Resident Advocate know if you have any questions at all or if you need any further support. Also, our cook, Sally, has left her contact info on the fridge in case you have ANY questions while cooking/serving/cleaning.
- Please make sure the fans are on as were instructed in your orientation with Sally.
- Please remember to wash your hands before you start prior to touching the food and prior to serving the food as well.
- Please wear gloves and change them anytime you touch your hair, face, or a dirty surface before you touch any food
- Only closed toed shoes are allowed in the kitchen.
- Please tie your hair back and away from your face to prevent hair from falling into food.
- If you are cooking with ingredients from our pantry, please remember to check all ingredients to make sure they have not expired and that the cans are not severely dented (Slight dents are ok). Please toss anything that you see is expired.
- Only use fruits and vegetables that look and feel fresh. Throw anything that looks expired in the compost bin in the walk-in fridge. Thoroughly wash all produce, the right sink area is for washing foods and food prep, the left sink is for dishes only.
- All dining room tables and surfaces should be cleaned prior to service and after dinner with the following solution:
- 1 capful of bleach to 1 gallon of warm water
- Keep this bucket at the sink
- Clean towels should be kept in the solution (Those are found in the drawer or in the laundry basket next to the stove
- Used towels should be put in the white laundry basket (Behind the pantry door), never hanging on surfaces or spread out on countertops.
- Cleaning solution must be kept away from food and food service areas.
- Make sure to clean the cutting board before switching from one project to another in order to prevent cross-contamination.
- Check temperatures before serving. Hot food should be at least 160 degrees prior to serving and should hold at a temperature of 140 degrees; reheat if necessary.
- If you stay through the duration of dinner, leftovers can be placed in the walk-in refrigerator in the pantry (It’s important to allow food to cool down before putting it in the refrigerator.). Seal, label and date (with today’s date) all foods with masking tape (found near the microwave in kitchen).
- Please throw away any food that is not re-useable.
- After dinner, please rinse dishes in the far left sink. The left sink area is for washing dishes, the dishes then need to be sanitized in the below dishwasher, air dried, and then returned to where they go in preparation for the next meal.
- Do not throw the grease down the drains. It is to be put to cool then into an old can and discarded in the trash.
- Wash all tables and countertops prior to leaving (with above mentioned solution).
- Mop floor with mop found in back store room. Mix 1 capful of bleach for every one gallon of warm water for your mop solution. Mop water can be dumped through the left sink (the one that you do dishes in), the food catch screen then needs to be re-rinsed. Please return the mop and bucket to the back store room.
- Put all dirty towels in the white laundry basket in the back store room (through the pantry); hang wet towels on the corner of the basket.
- Make sure the stove burners and the oven are turned off prior to leaving.
- Check out with the Resident Advocate on staff so that they know that you are leaving the building.
~THANKS AGAIN! We so appreciate you!!!~